Business Development Consultant
The Government of Sweden has entered into a delegated agreement with the European Delegation in June 2020 for the implementation of EU4Moldova: Startup City Cahul Project aiming to develop a regional ICT Innovation Centre for the Cahul region. The implementation of the project EU4Moldova: Startup City Cahul started in September 2020 as the National Association of ICT Companies has entered into an agreement with Sweden on September 15, 2020 for the implementation of the project. It aims to improve Moldova’s global competitiveness and its business and investment environment. Innovative, high-value technology products and businesses are essential for development of the knowledge-based economy. Science, innovation and technology are the key drivers of the sustainable growth and competitiveness.
The project is in line with the Annual Action Programme 2019 in favour of the Republic of Moldova and its Action entitled ‘EU4Moldova: Startup City Cahul’, based on the Commission Decision ENI/2019/042-243.
The overall objective of the Action is to harness and strengthen the potential of the digital economy and enhance regional competitiveness, its business, and its investment environment.
Project specific objectives:
· Foster partnerships for innovation and entrepreneurship between the private sector, public sector and educational institutions in the region of Cahul.
· Promote technology, problem solving and creative solutions in learning and make STEM topics (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) more attractive for women and men, girls and boys.
Facilitate the emergence of start-ups in innovative sectors, build their capacity and investment readiness.
The Action is aligned to the Eastern Partnership priorities, the revised Association Agenda and the objectives of the 2017-2020 Single Support Framework (SSF) for Moldova and Chapter 18 of the European Union – Moldova Association Agreement. It will also support the implementation of the Eastern Partnership’s ‘20 Deliverables for 2020’, as they relate to economic development. The proposed activities will support the implementation of the priorities identified in the European Joint Development Cooperation Strategy (Joint Programming Document) and the National Strategy for enhancing IT industry competitiveness ‘Digital Moldova 2020’.
Under the programmatic approach, the Action will contribute to the regional development of Cahul, in agreement with the Government of Moldova’s strategies for regional growth and well-being. The initiative will involve the major regional stakeholders and a general memorandum of understanding will be negotiated to seek commitment of the governmental authorities.
Purpose and objective:
The purpose of this assignment is for the business development is to assist the EU4Moldova: Startup City Cahul team in development of the investment profiles for the IT sector in the region and promote the Cahul EU4Innovaton Centre services.
The successful implementation of the action meant to harness and strengthen the potential of the digital economy and enhance regional competitiveness, its business, and its investment environment, is dependent on the level of interaction between main stakeholders: Government, International Donors,
Private Sector, and the end beneficiaries (ICT specialists, entrepreneurs, students etc.). The end collaboration between them will influence the level of talent/investors/ businesses interest in the region.
To secure the interest of possible stakeholders in supporting and/or accessing EU4Modlova Startup City programs, the Business Developer will:
1. Develop investment profiles for the ICT companies in the region.
– Assess and integrate in the investment profiles the needs and requirements of the private sector
– Create a mechanism to capture data (needs and opportunities) from ICT private sector (including diaspora) that is interested in relocating, extend or initiate activity in the region
– Draft the sale/marketing strategy
– Develop package of services based on private sector needs to move/reallocate/partner for/in Cahul
– Implement the sale strategy (minimum 7 partnerships)
2. Develop the EU4Innovation Centre Services spectrum.
– Define and describe the Centre services (that would respond to the needs of the ICT companies)
– Draft a sale strategy/Plan for the services provided by the Centre and supervise implementation of the sales plan
– Develop BP for minimum 3 services viable for the market in Cahul and relevant for the uptake for the EU4Innovation Centre
3. Draft the structure and mechanism of a recruitment & training unit that will secure the private sector with candidates from the region.
– Identify the recruitment options, test, and prioritize the most suitable tools for recruitment (applicable in the region/ adapted to the region specifics)
– Create a data management tool with the IT component and Recruitment branch manager that will segregate useful data for candidate selection based on Job description details.
– Organize & supervise 7 training programs
4. Assist the team in Identification and prioritization of the potential Startup creation programs for the region (upon request)
– Work with the Entrepreneurial team to co-create Startup promotion programs for period 2022 – 2024.
– Structure/describe the formats of Startup creation programs in the priority areas of the Region (Agriculture, Tourism, Logistics and Creative Industries.
– Supervise min 2 programs be implemented
– Carry out the assignment as defined in the SOW.
– Complete the final deliverables in a timely manner.
– Conduct all business in a manner that respects local culture.
– Maintain high ethical standards, avoiding any actual or perceived conflicts of interest.
– Lead and implement communication and networking related activities;
– Develop position papers, letters, relationships with main stakeholders of interest to the ICT industry;
– Other tasks as necessary;
– Investment Profiles
– Marketing strategy
– Centre Services Spectrum & services sale strategy
– Structure and mechanism of a recruitment & training unit
– Startup creation programs for the region
Level of effort
The level of effort (LOE) in days needed for this assignment is FTE.
Place of performance
The consultant will perform his/her duties in Moldova, with working sessions/ meeting in Cahul
Period of performance
The assignment will begin on/about December 2021 and end on/about March 2022
Interested candidates shall submit CV and motivation letter, in English, by January 14, 2022 to email@example.com and candronic@startupcityCahul.md. The subject of the email will include the following information: Name/Surname/ Business Development Consultant.